Monday, September 22, 2008

One month gone!

I’ve been IN Israel now for a month and a few days!! And it’s really starting to gain a home-feel! I am happy to say that while I do miss the community and fellowship I was in back home in Oregon, I am not homesick (Praise the Lord!!). Several other students are dealing with this issue – so keep them in your prayers… I’ve also been slowly picking up little Hebrew phrases, but nothing to get too excited about yet. Just the super basics – hello, yes, no, thank you… etc. Hopefully 8 more months will teach me more!

Today for our Israel Study Tours class (which happens every Monday) we went to Yad Vashem – Jerusalem’s Holocaust Museum. It was certainly a very powerful experience. We were not allowed to take any pictures inside, but it was alright outside – so there will be a few pictures up in the next week… I don’t really know what to say about it honestly. It’s one of those places you have to see for yourself. I do wish we would have had longer to look around; it really could take several days to go through. But since I’ll be here through the December break I expect I’ll go back and make in an ALL day trip. If any of you ever have the chance to go to any such museum it is worth it (I know there is a big one in Washington DC some of you may have been to).

My favorite class has hit a speed bump – and that is our required reading: “All the Messianic Prophesies of the Bible” by Herbert Lockyer. It’s TOUGH to read through. It’s like a very dense text book – the kind filled with so much info on one page that getting through it is like wading through waste-deep mud in the middle of winter. It’s a VERY interesting book – but every time I pick it up it seems like I hit a brick wall after about 10 pages… and we were supposed to read 7 chapters this week = about 125 pages… hmmmm…. haha! Fortunately I know I’m not alone in my wading-through-mud feeling – most all of the other students I’ve talked to feel exactly the same way. It is still my favorite class for its topic… but pray for my diligence in getting through the reading.

Also in the area of school work – I’m working on a report about the Dead Sea Scrolls. We can choose to write about any aspect regarding the scrolls – and so far I’m researching the Copper Scroll… very interesting because it supposedly is a map to hidden temple treasure. But it can’t be found because so many of the sites referenced don’t exist anymore! Funny, eh?! :)

Another bit of news – I may be going on a trip to Jordan this semester! If I go I’ll be a part of a 9-person team of students from our school going to help a church sponsor a medical clinic happening October 3rd-8th. Most likely there wouldn’t be much opportunity for touristy-things (like Petra), but who knows?! Even still, it would be an amazing trip! There are only 9 seats available to go, and already 3 of them are assigned and about 12 more people who want to fill the last 6 seats. Haha! So please just pray that we are sensitive to the Lord’s leading and put together the perfect team that He has planned. Even if I don’t end up going – the team would certainly benefit from more prayer covering! I’ll keep you all posted when I know for sure if I’m going or not – most likely I’ll know by the end of this week…
Love, joy and peace to you all!

2 comments:

Elise A. said...

Hey Heather,
I feel like I should be leaving comments more often, but I am reading your blog! It sounds like your having an amazing experience, and I envy all of the amazing historical sights you're getting to see.
I'll e-mail you later and give you an update on my life, but no worries if you have no time to read it; sounds like you're busy.
Elise

Emily said...

heather!!!
wow, i just read through all of your posts, and it sounds like you are having such an amazing time.
i am so happy for you, and i am praying, but i miss you so much.
love,
emily